Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Young Jeezy – Trap Or Die II: By Any Means Necessary (Mixtape)


The Introduction

Young Jeezy – Trap Or Die II: By Any Means Necessary

The dropped yesterday as scheduled but I'm just getting the chance to post it today.
Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but the early talk is that the track featuring Pusha & Malice is bananas. No surprise there though. I'll check back in once I give it a listen to give my thoughts.

I've been playing it non-stop the past 2 hours (while partaking in the proper libations of course) and for someone who heard TOD after I had already copped Thug Motivation 101 & the Boyz In Da Hood album, I think the sequel lives up to it's predecessor. For one, Jeezy is 10x the rapper he was back in 2005. Technically there's been some minor improvement and while I doubt Jeezy will ever be on the level of his peers (ie. T.I., Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, Gucci Mane) lyrically, it's clear there's been somewhat of a shift in his emphasis from what he's actually saying to how he's saying it.

You niggas thought I was gone, just gone go away
Want me gone like the wind, and just blow away
Want me hang up my mic and put the blow away
Why I refuse to let em treat me like a throwaway
Remember times nigga, I was doin' 4 a day
Same nigga 4 times made me 80K
Now I'm feeling like the shit, took me 2 showers
Now I gotta count this shit, took me 2 hours
Four 12's in the back, that's my favorite trunk
Black Chevelle, white stripes, lookin' like a skunk
Black soles, white stripes, that's my favorite dunks
40Cal, stainless steel, that's my favorite pump - "Problem"


But unlike his peers, Jeezy's street credibility has never been in question and while he used to boast of being a "trap nigga" as opposed to a "rap nigga", somewhere between The Inspiration & The Recession, the lines that used to define him as a rapper have blurred considerably. Sure, for the most part the subject matter is standard fare (cocaine, money, cars, being gangster, getting high, women, did I mention cocaine?) and Jeezy will never blow you away with his flow but he has found a way to keep it compelling all the while making it seem effortless...sorta like Pac back when he was having his run.

You already know, outta sight, outta mind
Can't trust a soul, that's prolly why I'm out my mind
Homie hit me up, he say I'm runnin' outta time
The only thing I'm worried bout is running outta dimes
The only thing he worried bout is runnin' outta nines
Can talk it all night, I doubt I'm runnin' outta lines
Hustle hard, get your own, you niggas got the time
This gotta be the right road cause I can see the signs
Momma said fuck them niggas, get ya head up
Momma said fuck them niggas get ya bread up
And damn what a nigga say
And when it get rough, all you gotta do is pray
- "I Remember"

The production doesn't stray far from the usual tinny, monolithic stuff you'd find on his albums (Although I would've liked more joints from mainstays like Drumma Boy & Zaytoven. Plus, Shawty Redd's nightmarish sound beds are noticeably absent) and the joints with high profile features (ie. Scarface, The Clipse, Bun B, Baby, etc.) could easily be cuts from TM103. Some of the songs stand out more then others, but that tends to happen when a disc is 22 tracks deep with no skits. Don Cannon continues his track record of putting together dope "street albums" but he's still no more tolerable then he was on the last tape he hosted (I hope the NoDJ version is on the way). Still, Trap Or Die II: By Any Means Necessary is a worthy installment in Jeezy's catalog (even though DJ Drama's shit talking and the Gangsta Grillz branding would've made it that much better) and a perfect appetizer for Thug Motivation 103, set to hit stores this summer.

Props to 2DB for the hookup.

6 comments:

hl said...

"Technically there's been some minor improvement and while I doubt Jeezy will ever be on the level of his peers (ie. T.I., Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, Gucci Mane) lyrically, it's clear there's been somewhat of a shift in his emphasis from what he's actually saying to how he's saying it."

^I gotta agree with this. I couldn't help but notice how much better his lyrics are. It seems like he's making an effort without compromising his delivery. This tape was actually pretty good.

geico lizard said...

I dont think Jeezy will top the Recession with his next full album but you can tell his lyrics have grown.

Thomas said...

Technically there's been some minor improvement and while I doubt Jeezy will ever be on the level of his peers (ie. T.I., Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, Gucci Mane)

^^^^
Jeezy is not the most lyrical dude, but he is leaps and bounds ahead of Gucci Mane IMO. Tracks like "Talk 2 Em'," "Bury Me a G," "Hustlin (rmx)" show that.

Tape is another banger from Jeezy.

I agree...Jeezy has progressed since TM101. I still think The Inspiration is his best work from top to bottom...just comparing the 3 albums.

ya boy said...

Those verses I just read make me wonder how in the fuck this guy is even known for his music outside of his neighbourhood. I'd be embarassed with that shit. How are these dope lyrics?! I mean honestly, someone explain. Lyrical is the ONE thing Jeezy is not.

Anonymous said...

@ya boi fuck u nigga and the nigga that wrote this blog Jeezy is one of the hottest rappers comin out of the ATL right behind T.I. ,ross & gucci aint fuckin with Jeezy bruh u dont shit bout trappin, music fuck u nigga and u can put them words in ya momma name nigga

Morilla said...

jeezy tells great stories ya boy is a fuckin idiot i bet yo bars aint shit, dont got bars?? u a fuck nigga then "and if u aint a fuck nigga fuck u anyway"-Young Jeezy