Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Jay Electronica Is Straight Spittin'





Exhibit C (Produced By Just Blaze)

Ahh, the ever elusive Jay Electronica. While he's still an enigma to many, there's no denying the intensity and intellect in his songs (when he bothers to release one, which on his current schedule, amounts to 3 or 4 songs every six months). Jay's co-d, Just Blaze, was up at Shade45 on Sirius/XM, spinning some records and he unearthed a couple of gems he has in the stash, but "Exhibit C" was the crown jewel. Peep...

When I was sleepin' on the train, sleepin' on Meserole Ave. out in the rain, without even a single slice of pizza to my name
Too proud to beg for change, mastering the pain, when New York n*ggaz were calling southern rappers lame, but then jackin our slang
I used to get dizzy spells & hear a little ring
The voice of an Angel telling me my name
Telling me that one day, I'mma be a great man transforming with the Megatron Don, spittin' out flames
Eat wack rappers alive, sh*ttin out chains
I ain’t believe it then, n*gga I was homeless
Fightin’, shootin dice, smokin weed on the corners
Tryna find the meaning of life in a Corona, till the 5 percenters rolled up on a n*gga and informed him.....

“You either build or destroy. Where you come from?”

The Magnolia projects in the 3rd Ward slum

“Hmm…it’s quite amazing that you rhyme how you do
and how you shine like you grew up in a shrine in Peru”

Question 14 - Muslim Lesson 2: Dip Diver, Civilize a 85er
I make the devil hit his knees and say the Our Father

Abracadabra!
You rockin with the true and living
Shout out to Lights Out, Joseph I, Chewy Bivens
Shout out to Baltimore, Baton Rouge, my crew in Richmond
While y’all debated who the truth was like Jews & Christians
I was on Cecil B, Broad Street, Master, North Philly, South Philly, 23rd, Tasker
6 Mile, 7 Mile, Hartwell, Gratiot
Where n*ggaz really would pack a U-Haul truck up, put the high beams on, drive up on the curb, at a barbecue and hop up out the back like “what’s up!”
Kill a n*gga, rob a n*gga, take a n*gga, bust up
That’s why when you talk that tough talk I never feel ya
You sound real good and you play the part well but the energy you giving off is so unfamiliar...I don’t feel ya

(We need somethin realer!)

Nas hit me up on the phone, said “What you waitin on?”
Tip hit me up with the a, said “What you waitin on?”
Diddy sent a text every hour on the dot sayin “When you gon drop that verse n*gga, you takin long”

So now I’m back spittin that "He Could Pass A Polygraph"
That Reverend Run rockin Adidas out on Hollis Ave.
That’s FOI, Margus Garvey, Nikki Tesla
I shock you like a eel, "Electric Feel", Jay Electra

They call me Jay Electronica, f*ck that
Call me Jay ElecHannukah, Jay ElecYamulke
Jay ElectRamadaan Muhammad Asalaamica
RasoulAllah Supana Watallah through your monitor
My Uzi still weigh a ton, check the barometer
I’m hotter than the motherf*ckin sun, check the thermometer
I’m bringing Ancient Mathematics back to Modern Man
My momma told me never throw a stone and hide your hand
I got a lot of family, you got a lot of fans
That's why the people got my back like the Verizon Man


If you need Google to understand some of the references, don't be ashamed. If someone told you he caught every metaphor & name drop in "Exhibit C", he's lying to ya. Dude is making some of the illest music I've heard in years but more importantly, his rhymes provoke thought. No shots @ Gucci.

As it is, the internet is goin' nuts [(c) Paul Wall] for this joint, even though it's a radio rip with shitty quality & drops throughout. But again, knowing how often Jay drops music, I'd say be happy with what we've got.

Yo Jay, what you waitin' on?

We need somethin realer!

Just A Thought: Just when I thought Just Blaze had fallen victim to the curse of Auto Tune, dude comes and fucks up the game with a song like this.
Me thinks Justin's been holding out on us lol.

1 comment:

geico lizard said...

I cant front I tried to clown this guy a few times but he shut me up with this. He is too talented not to blow if he spits it like this.