Friday, September 4, 2009

50 Cent Is Goin' Fishin'......


"Flight 187"

Not his best shit but definitely not his worst. Still entertaining, even though 50's Pimpin' Curly videos had a bigger budget then this one. I'm not even sure where this song/video came from or what mixtape it's slated to be on but it seems like this one is getting some attention based on a particular line...

“Why Jay rockin’ that Urkel look, man isn’t he from Marcy?/They say he’s growing dreads and now he’s talkin’ like a yardie…”

Innocent? Not hardly, but the accompanying visuals at the 1:08 point are what really sting.

I'm not sure how far in advance this song or video was done but I'm pretty sure Fif felt slighted that Jay didn't mention him as competition along with Em & Nas in that piece in the latest issue of XXL. All these rappers are egomaniacs.

Especially the successful ones.

I mean, I don't see why anyone would be shocked by this move. This happens every time 50 drops an album. It's like chum in the water. And why not Jay? I think Hip-Hop fans nowadays are real quick to turn on an artist who's become successful. Or is it the fact that 50's shtick just isn't feeling as fresh as it did a few years back? Fif's been putting out some decent music lately and still gets shitted on for the most part. Yeah, over the years he's generated a fair share of ill will from the fans with his bullying tactics but isn't that just the nature of his music? It's "Aggressive Content" (c) Curtis Jackson. 50 Cent is supposed to be the bad guy we all love to hate. Where's the love?

If the music can't get a buzz, a high profile beef with Jay-Z is sure to generate some attention, though it would really shock me if Jay was impulsive enough to respond to it. Right now.

I mean, remember that line from "What More Can I Say"...

The soul of a hustler I really ran the street
A CEO's mind
That marketing plan was me
And no I ain't get shot up a whole bunch of times
Or make up shit in a whole bunch of lines


Kind of a slick jab at Fif. I may be reaching, but Jay is famous for the sublimely subtle disrespect and it goes even further back with 50's jab from "How To Rob..." and Jay's infamous "I'm about a dollar, what the fuck is 50 Cent?" response at Hot97's Summer Jam. This has been simmering for a moment and I'll think it'll continue to do so but as a lover of food and an accomplished chef (in my delusional mind) I know that when you're patient & you let beef simmer to the precise moment, the juicier the end result. Look how long it took for Jay & Nas to finally take the gloves off and that tit for tat resulted in "The Takeover" & "Ether", two of the most infamous rap records of the past decade.

I gotta agree with Fif. Sometimes a little aggressive content is good for the game, especially with Jay becoming less "God MC" and more "The Black Bono" on his latest disc (more on that later). Jayceon, Jimmy & Jaz have thus far been unsuccessful. If Fif can't get Jay to "square dance", who can?

Update: Okay, so this song is actually on Fif's upcoming mixtape, "The 50th Law Of Power", which I guess will be hitting the net right along with his new book, The 50th Law with author Robert Greene (The 48 Laws of Power, The Art of Seduction). You gotta give it to Curtis. He stays relevant without an album out. Already pre-ordered mine on Amazon.com. Here's the cover art for the mixtape single(?)...



No comments: