Thursday, June 25, 2009
Michael Joseph Jackson (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009)
(I was kinda beat when I first wrote this post. I had to get my thoughts out before I lost 'em, but in my rush, the write up came out filled with grammatical errors & such, so I've come back off of a couple hours of sleep & tightened up a bit. So, let's try this again...)
I was on 125th Street in Harlem this afternoon, just to stop by the Atmos store and cop a pair of kicks and only a few steps from the train station I overheard someone say something about Michael Jackson. I couldn't really make out what they were talking about cause I really wasn't paying attention, but I definitely heard them refer to Michael Jackson. As I walked toward Atmos I passed some guy who had a stand selling scented oils, insencse, etc. and that's when I heard the bad news blaring out of his boombox. Not believing my ears, I had to ask the insencse man for confirmation...
Me: Yo, they just say Michael Jackson died?
Him: Yup. Heart attack.
Me: Say word? That's crazy!
I was stunned and I must've stood there for a couple seconds, just trying to grasp the reality of what I had just heard. The bootlegger who had set up shop right next to the insensce man must've peeped the whole thing cause as soon as I turned around, he was like...
Him: I got them Michael Jackson cd's right here y'all, get your Michael Jackson cd's right here!
Me: I know how to get what I want off the internet. I'm good fam.
As I continued to walk down '25th, I started to hear his name peppered in the various conversations people were having on the street. Even though some of those conversations were in other languages, there's no translation needed to understand the words "Michael Jackson".
I got my first record player in 1982 as a Christmas gift. It was a blue and red Spider-Man joint and along with it, I got my very first piece of vinyl. Michael Jackson's Thriller. I remember performing impromptu "concerts" in my Aunt Sand's living room with my cousin Joseph, using white socks as makeshift gloves, popping the buttons off of our blue button ups, grapping our junk, mouthing the words to songs from Bad. My sister Tamika got married a while back and at the reception during the Bride and Groom's first dance, the DJ switched it up and her and my brother in law, Scooter, both started doing their best rendition of the dance in the Thriller video(It was hilarious lol. Guess you had to be there.). As a kid, I remember begging my Mom to let me stay later at a friend's house when she was ready to leave, just to see the Making Michael Jackson's Thriller on VHS. I wanted to be MJ so bad, I got my mother to buy me the pleather knock off version of the red leather jacket he wore in "Beat It". If there was ever an artist I was a "Stan" for, it was Michael Jackson.
Michael Jackson is without question, the greatest entertainer to ever grace a stage. No one else is even close. Aside from being the undisputed King Of Pop, Michael Jackson is quite possibly the most influentual figure in modern music. I was watching The Jackson 5's live performance of "I Want You Back" on The Ed Sullivan Show, trying to help my daughter put a face to the name and just looking at this eleven year old kid, dominating the stage with his pressence, I remembered how much of a true talent Michael Jackson was and I shed a tear for a man who's music was ever present during my childhood years.
R.I.P. Michael Jackson
You will be missed....
Bonus: Michael Jackson - The Ultimate Collection (2004)
1. I Want You Back (with The Jackson 5) - 2:59 - 22 MB
2. ABC (with The Jackson 5) - 2:58 - 21 MB
3. I'll Be There (with The Jackson 5) - 3:58 - 28 MB
4. Got to Be There - 3:23 - 23 MB
5. I Wanna Be Where You Are - 2:57 - 21 MB
6. Ben - 2:44 - 17 MB
7. Dancing Machine (with The Jackson 5) - 2:37 - 17 MB
8. Enjoy Yourself (with The Jacksons) - 3:40 - 24 MB
9. Ease on Down the Road (with Diana Ross) - 3:19 - 25 MB
10. You Can't Win (from The Wiz) - 7:17 - 52 MB
11. Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground) (early demo, with The Jacksons) - 2:09 - 13 MB
12. Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground) (with The Jacksons) - 3:45 - 27 MB
13. Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough - 6:04 - 43 MB
14. Rock with You - 3:40 - 26 MB
15. Off the Wall - 4:06 - 29 MB
16. She's out of My Life - 3:37 - 18 MB
17. Sunset Driver (demo) - 4:03 - 27 MB
18. Lovely One (with The Jacksons) - 4:50 - 36 MB
19. This Place Hotel (with The Jacksons) - 5:44 - 40 MB
1. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' - 6:03 - 46 MB
2. The Girl Is Mine (with Paul McCartney) - 3:42 - 26 MB
3. Thriller - 5:58 - 44 MB
4. Beat It - 4:19 - 32 MB
5. Billie Jean - 4:53 - 36 MB
6. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) (demo) - 3:47 - 26 MB
7. Someone in the Dark - 4:55 - 30 MB
8. State of Shock (with Mick Jagger & The Jacksons) - 4:30 - 31 MB
9. Scared of the Moon (demo) - 4:42 - 27 MB
10. We Are the World (demo) - 5:20 - 36 MB
11. We Are Here to Change the World (from Captain EO) - 2:54 - 20 MB
1. Bad - 4:07 - 32 MB
2. The Way You Make Me Feel - 4:58 - 38 MB
3. Man in the Mirror - 5:19 - 36 MB
4. I Just Can't Stop Loving You (with Siedah Garrett) - 4:14 - 27 MB
5. Dirty Diana - 4:40 - 33 MB
6. Smooth Criminal - 4:18 - 31 MB
7. Cheater (demo) - 5:09 - 35 MB
8. Dangerous (early version) - 6:40 - 47 MB
9. Monkey Business - 5:45 - 42 MB
10. Jam - 5:40 - 42 MB
11. Remember the Time - 4:00 - 28 MB
12. Black or White - 4:17 - 29 MB
13. Who Is It (IHS Mix) - 7:57 - 52 MB
14. Someone Put Your Hand Out - 5:26 - 40 MB
1. You Are Not Alone - 6:02 - 39 MB
2. Stranger in Moscow - 5:45 - 36 MB
3. Childhood (from Free Willy 2) - 4:28 - 26 MB
4. On the Line (from Get on the Bus) - 4:53 - 34 MB
5. Blood on the Dance Floor - 4:13 - 29 MB
6. Fall Again (demo) - 4:22 - 29 MB
7. In the Back - 4:31 - 32 MB
8. Unbreakable - 6:26 - 46 MB
9. You Rock My World - 5:08 - 38 MB
10. Butterflies - 4:40 - 32 MB
11. Beautiful Girl (demo) - 4:04 - 27 MB
12. The Way You Love Me - 4:30 - 34 MB
13. We've Had Enough - 5:46 - 41 MB