Thursday, April 30, 2009

Now Playing...


Mayer Hawthorne is the latest signee to Stones Throw & to label his music "retro" would be an understatement. To listen to Mayer's music is to take a trip back to the Motown era, where Doo Wop dominated the airwaves & artistry took precidence over image. I first heard of dude on a forum but the first time I actually heard his music was on The Smoking Section. I was initially skeptical because the music reminded me of Smokey Robinson & Curtis Mayfield & ...well, Mayer's a white guy from Detroit. I mean, we already have Justin Timberlake & Robin Thicke doing "Blue-Eyed Soul". Do we really need another guy doing the same schtick? But after a few listen's, all my skepticism flew out the window. Black, white or purple, good music is good music. Once you get into the groove, none of that other shit matters.

A Strange Arrangement coming soon...




Mayer Hawthorne - “Just Ain’t Gonna Work Out”

No comments: