Monday, April 13, 2009

"I Ain't Work A Day In My Life, Wipin' Away Eraser Off The Paper, Man..."


I don't think people really got Nas's Hip-Hop Is Dead. Even though it got it's share of critical praise, it was still deemed a lesser album for some reason. I've read it on different blogs, seen comments that supported it & have even heard it from some of my friends (yeah, I actually have real life friends. I know, i'm just as surprised as you).

I mean, the album grabs you off top with "Money Over Bullshit" and never lets up. "Carry On Tradition", "Can`t Forget About You", "Hold Down The Block", "Black Republican"? How can you front on this album? "Who Killed It?" is kind of a train wreck and "Blunt Ashes" is what I use when I run out of Ambien, but outside of those two songs, where are the flaws?

Oh, "Hope" you say? You didn't like the whole spoken word thing? I thought it made the actual lyrics stand out, making sure the meaning behind them was clear. Nas was spitting some authentic 80's era New York shit but you prolly skipped it after 30 seconds. Well, here's the original version (produced by Wyldfire, who also did "Dead Presidents"), which uses the same sample J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League flipped on Rick Ross's "Maybach Music".

Album version > This version, but that's just me. What do you think?

Hope Feat. Chrisette Michelle (Original Version)

No comments: